Writer on a Horse
And a Dog

The world looks better from the back of a horse and the roads of life are easier with a good dog beside you.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I'm a country girl


Alabama raised & proud! Where summer starts in April, front porches are wide & words are long. We don't have fireflies, we have lightning bugs, macaroni & cheese is a vegetable, pecan pie is a staple, y'all is a proper pronoun, chicken is fried, & biscuits come with gravy. Everything is darling & someone is always getting their heart blessed.

For National Poetry Month here is one of my not great but heart felt poems. Y'all have to remember I'm a fiction writer not a poet but I like to try.




The Barn

Smells assault the senses
Horses, manure, hay
A haven free of fences
Misunderstandings fade

Puppies run to greet me
Attack my laces, lick my face
Wanting to be fed
My horse blows and stomps

A blanket in the loft
I read of perfect worlds
Stroking my cat, so soft
Dreams spin and whirl

Years past, I’m now a Mom
Dropping by for a visit
My children go to the barn
Old dreams fade but new ones begin

Age, the barn must pay the cost
A dozer chews at rotten wood
As our haven is lost
My children and I sob

Metal beams and metal sides
Foundation of concrete
New dreams begin inside
The barn

No comments: