Writer on a Horse
And a Dog

The world looks better from the back of a horse and the roads of life are easier with a good dog beside you.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Why do I write poetry ... I have something to say


The Barn

Smells assault the senses
Horses, manure, hay
A haven free of fences
Misunderstandings fade

Puppies run to greet me
Attack my laces, lick my face
Wanting their feed
My horse blows and stomps

A blanket in the loft
I read of perfect worlds
Stroking my cat, so soft
Dreams spin and whirl

Years past, I’m a Mom
Dropping by for a visit
My children go to the barn
Old dreams fade but new begin

Age, the barn must pay the cost
A bulldozer chews at rotten wood
As our haven is lost
My children and I sob

Metal beams and Metal sides
Foundation of concrete
New dreams begin inside
The barn

1 comment:

Irene Latham said...

Awwww... a love poem for the barn! I was just talking to Paul about how the barn is such a great thing for your family, how you congregate there, how the kids will grow up with all these great memories of spending time there with loved ones. VERY cool.