Writer on a Horse
And a Dog

The world looks better from the back of a horse and the roads of life are easier with a good dog beside you.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Goodbye Trees


The last few years have been so hard on the trees. I've had several in my front yard die last year. Yes they are ugly but I've lived here 41 years and they have always greeted me when I walked out my front door. I know they need cutting... but my heart didn't realize how vacant area's of my front yard was going to be when they were cut. Stupid thoughts I know but if you knew me you would know that I built my house at an angle to save a dogwood tree :) which died anyway three years after we moved in the house. They really are fragile trees. Now I don't want y'all to think I'm treeless far from it, about 28 let in front yard and of course the 100 acres of woods around my yard but I these three trees are like friends, and I wanted to say "You shade kept me cool, your acorns fed the squirrels and deer, and now you will keep me warm as I use you for firewood.
Pic is grandbabies and dogs in leaves in front yard.

Word for today: flamboyant -- showy, colorful

Fall will be less flamboyant with three less trees.

6 comments:

Iron Guy Carl said...

Hey, I'm Carl from the Boys Rule! Boys Read blog and a fellow Southerner, working for the library system in Charlotte, NC. I saw your nname on the Comment Challenge. Glad that you love horses--my wife's paternal grandfather was a cavalry officer in WWI and took her riding every Saturday when she was a girl. Have you read the Gabriel's Horses trilogy by Alison Hart? VERY good!

Irene Latham said...

We built our house in the country between two big oak trees. We lived there for five years, then moved to town. When we went back to visit, one of the trees had died! I was very sad. And happy it didn't happen before we were trying to sell the place. :)

Jill said...

I know how you feel. I grew up in a small rural area of the Midwest, and I still miss all the trees and wildlife!

Kimbra Kasch said...

Tried to pop over here from Mother Reader's Comment Challenge but your permalink wasn't working :(

Looks like you know your history.

Melissa Sarno said...

I love trees! I live in New York City so I regret that I don't see hords of them (though I do live on a tree-lined block). My parents have a few dead trees in front of their home and I refuse to let them cut them down. I can't imagine my childhood home treeless like that.

Amy Jane said...

I know what you mean... I absolutly love the trees in my yard and i love the fact that my house is surrounded by woods. I hate to see trees die because I have played with and among those trees since as long as I can remember.