Writer on a Horse
And a Dog

The world looks better from the back of a horse and the roads of life are easier with a good dog beside you.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

2012 Kidlitosphere Progressive Poem

Okay, so Irene asked me if I was interested in doing this... I sort of bounce ideas off her and maybe this is payback??  I'm a fiction writer that writes really bad poetry.  My goal is that in two hundred years my poems be published in a book titled, "All the things you shouldn't do when writing poetry" or maybe my great great great ... oh heck you get the picture... grandchildren understand me and my life a little better by reading my poems. 
2012 KidLit Progressive Poem:  watch a poem grow day-by-day as it travels across the Kidlitosphere! April 1-30


If you are reading this
you must be hungry
Kick off your silver slippers

Come sit with us a spell
A hanky, here, now dry your tears
And fill your glass with wine
Now, pour. The parchment has secrets
Smells of a Moroccan market spill out.
You have come to the right place, just breathe in.
Honey, mint, cinnamon, sorrow. Now, breathe out
last week’s dreams. Take a wish from the jar.

Inside, deep inside, is the answer…
Unfold it, and let us riddle it together,
…Strains of a waltz. How do frozen fingers play?
How do fennel, ginger, saffron blend in the tagine?
Like broken strangers bound by time, they sisterdance…

their veils of sorrow encircle, embrace.
Feed your heart with waltzes and spices.
Feed your soul with wine and dreams.
Humble dust of coriander scents your feet, coaxing
seascapes, crystal sighs and moonshine from your melody
Beware of dangers along the path of truth
On to Miranda... hope I didn't mess you up too bad.
Schedule
1 Irene at Live Your Poem
2 Doraine at Dori Reads
4 Robyn at Read, Write, Howl
5 Susan at Susan Taylor Brown
6 Mary Lee at A Year of Reading
7 Penny at A Penny and her Jots
8 Jone at Deo Writer
9 Gina at Swagger Writer's
10 Julie at The Drift Record
11 Kate at Book Aunt
12 Anastasia Suen at Booktalking
14 Diane at Random Noodling
16 Natalie at Wading Through Words
17 Tara at A Teaching Life
18 Amy at The Poem Farm
19 Lori at Habitual Rhymer
21 Myra at Gathering Books
23 Miranda at Miranda Paul Books
24 Linda at TeacherDance
25 Greg at Gotta Book
26 Renee at No Water River
27 Linda at Write Time
28 Caroline at Caroline by Line
29 Sheri at Sheri Doyle
30 Irene at Live Your Poem

8 comments:

Irene Latham said...

Ooh, "Beware" is always a good thing! You don't give yourself enough credit, my friend. Thanks so much for your contribution. Love the addition of big bad "truth" in there. Will be interesting to see what happens next!

Kim Van Sickler said...

I'm not a poet, fellow Swagger Gina Gort is, but I've been sporadically following along and I love the way this poem is growing. The images, tastes, and feelings these strings of words leave me with are truly amazing considering the disparate sources. Great job, everyone!

Robyn Hood Black said...

Nicely done, Pat - injecting some tension at this point in the poetic tale is perfect timing. Then again, you're a no-nonsense kinda gal (a creative one at that!). ;0)

Linda B said...

Wow-another turning. I would say your poetry muse visited this time! Since I have the day after tomorrow, you've really started my thinking now. Great line to change the tone of the poem.

Patricia J. Weaver said...

I was sweating bullets before I pushed publish.... I don't know about poetry muse visiting because I could have written a chapter or two with the time it took for me to be happy with this one line...

Heidi Mordhorst said...

"Beware of dangers" makes a very nice contrast with the seascapes and crystal moonshine, harking back to the sorrow and tears of before. A fine addition!

Miranda Paul said...

Oooh! Nice twist, Pat. The wheels are spinning...Can't wait to decide what's next.

Penny Parker Klostermann said...

Love it! We can't let things get too comfortable...Beware!