Writer on a Horse
And a Dog

The world looks better from the back of a horse and the roads of life are easier with a good dog beside you.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Oasis in Winter

The Sun is shining and all is right with the world.  I've got quilts airing on the line. The chickens are happy pecking and scratching in the pasture and woods.  My dogs have been playing all morning.  And I feel like doing some chores that have been waiting for a while to get done.  

I just finished a Knowledge Power artricle about the Winter Olypmics for the Kidsville News paper and I discovered things I never knew while researching.  Raised in the south, I never really followed the Winter Olympics because skiing. skating and bobsledding is something I've never done or had the opportunity to do.  Well, once I sledded down the hill in front of my house on a Formica table top .... which flies but has no steering... that did not end well for me and ended my days of winter sports.  Getting back to the article, I was amazed now little I knew about the Winter Olympics.  Oh, I knew about the speed skating and figure skating and skiing events.  I knew about ice hockey, of course and luge and bobsledding.

I was amazed and intrigued to learn about these other sports.  I can't wait to watch these events next month.







 BIATHLON COMBINES THE POWER AND AGGRESSION OF CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING WITH THE PRECISION AND CALM OF MARKSMANSHIP.




Nordic Combined...THIS SPORT, WHICH HAS A LONG OLYMPIC HISTORY, COMBINES SKI JUMPING AND CROSS COUNTRY Skiing



sKELETON RACING INVOLVES PLUMMETING HEAD-FIRST DOWN A STEEP AND TREACHEROUS ICE TRACK ON A TINY SLED. IT IS CONSIDERED THE WORLD'S FIRST SLIDING SPORT.




CURLING IS A TEAM SPORT PLAYED BY TWO TEAMS OF FOUR PLAYERS ON A RECTANGULAR SHEET OF ICE. ITS NICKNAME, “THE ROARING GAME”, ORIGINATES FROM THE RUMBLING SOUND THE 44-POUND (19.96KG) GRANITE STONES MAKE WHEN THEY TRAVEL ACROSS THE ICE.

No comments: