Writer on a Horse
And a Dog

The world looks better from the back of a horse and the roads of life are easier with a good dog beside you.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Okay, the ugly truth



Finding a good book that I WANT to finish is like bobbing for apples... you know you're going to get wet and might not even get an apple for your efforts.

I'm not a tell all -- beautiful 60 word sentences that paint you a picture... nope, I am a meat and potatoes reader. I know, how can I write and not enjoy all the poetic prose of the English language??? Don't know, but I don't like the deep meaning books that seems to win awards right and left.

There are exceptions to the rule, like when there is a mule in the story :)
or a comet
or about Egypt

I was asked what Newbery books did I like... well I couldn't name many

As a rule, I enjoy the honor books more. Now I just know the committee is going to blow up my email asking me to be a member... NOT hehehehe

This is the list of Newbery books I would read again. Most of the time I like the movie better. But let me put a disclaimer.... there are few books I would read more than once.

Okay dear friends, I have to agree with you... I am a hard reader... but look for the silver lining...if you hook me I have a big mouth and tell everyone.


When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread by Kate DiCamillo

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

Holes by Louis Sachar

Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry

No comments: