Writer on a Horse
And a Dog

The world looks better from the back of a horse and the roads of life are easier with a good dog beside you.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

2017 Progressive Poem

Once again, I signed up to do the Progressive Poem hoping I would be able to meet, no embrace the challenge.  It might be just one line but to me that line makes me part of something wonderful. 

Thanks Irene for organizing this.  Okay, I've stalled long enough.... my line is at the bottom in bold print.


I’m fidget, friction, ragged edges—
I sprout stories that frazzle-dazzle,
stories of castles, of fires that crackle
with dragonwords that smoke and sizzle.

But edges sometimes need sandpaper,
like swords need stone and clouds need vapour.
So I shimmy out of my spurs and armour
facing the day as my fickle, freckled self.

I thread the crowd, wear freedom in my smile,
and warm to the coals of conversation.
Enticed to the stage by strands of story,
I skip up the stairs in anticipation.

Flip around, face the crowd, and freeze!
Shiver me. Look who’s here. Must I disappear?
By hook or by crook, I deserve a second look!
I cheer. Please, have no fear. Find the book.

But wait! I’ll share the lines I know by heart.
Mythicalhowls, fierytones slip from my lip
Blue scales flash, claws rip, the prophecy begins

I now hand off this adventure to BJ at Blue Window  I can’t wait to see where you will take us.

Here are the links to everyone doing a line for this year’s poem.

3 Doraine at Dori Reads
4 Michelle at Today's Little Ditty
5 Diane at Random Noodling
6 Kat at Kat's Whiskers
7 Irene at Live Your Poem
8 Mary Lee at A Year of Reading
9 Linda at TeacherDance
10 Penny at a penny and her jots
12 Janet F. at Live Your Poem
13 Margaret at Reflections on the Teche
14 Jan at Bookseedstudio
15 Brenda at Friendly Fairy Tales
18 Buffy at Buffy's Blog
19 Pat at Writer on a Horse
20 BJ at Blue Window
21 Donna at Mainely Write
24 Amy at The Poem Farm
26 Renee at No Water River
28 Michelle at Michelle Kogan
29 Charles at Poetry Time
30 Laura Purdie Salas at Writing the World for Kids


9 comments:

Linda B said...

That hidden story emerges! I love "The Prophecy Begins", opens the story even more, and the dragon lore is back!

Buffy Silverman said...

Oh I can see those claws and scales....and what is the prophecy?? Thanks for the great line!

Amy LV said...

Prophecy! Such a perfect word for right now. This is exciting, and you're so right about being part of something wonderful... xx

jan godown annino said...

Inquiring minds want to know "What is the prophecy?"

Vivid scales & claws. .... I'm getting an image . . .

Thank you for this riveting line!

Joy said...


Great line development--blue scales, rip, clash and a prophecy. I love where this line takes the poem. Thanks for a great job.

skanny17 said...

I second all of the above....really a great line...the blue scales, the clashing, the prophecy...... love that you have brought it here. Now to see what the next line is. I agree, this gets exciting and is wonderful. Like I said, I agree with all of the other commenters!

Penny Parker Klostermann said...

Perfect line and perfect timing. Flash and rip add action and I wonder about the prophecy.

Robyn Hood Black said...

Such a lively, colorful line - Thank you, Pat! (I'm playing catchup after being gone at a poetry conference all weeekend.) :0)

Heidi Mordhorst said...

I'm late to appreciate each and every line. Back to the dragon--with some raw action! This goes well with the animal sounds our speaker knows by heart. Thank you!