Writer on a Horse
And a Dog

The world looks better from the back of a horse and the roads of life are easier with a good dog beside you.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Now I Understand

First let me say I love my grandchildren and love having them come to my house but... now I understand my Granny's words that hurt my heart over fifty years ago.

Here are my Granny's words:
"Life is not all fun and games and screaming at the top of your lungs doesn't make your words true.  When you get as old as I am, you'll understand that it is important to stop and be still so God and the Universe can teach you."

When I was nine, I looked at her and said, "What?"








Okay, let me paint the setting a little.  Sunday afternoon, about nine of the cousins at Granny's and I'm fighting with two of them.... "I touched the base!"   "No you didn't you're out"  "No, I'm not."

Yes you are
No I'm not
Did
Didn't
Now repeat this about sixty times
After sixty times... shove "Yes I did."
Shove back, "No, you didn'."
Shove harder, "Did"
Kick, then shove... "Didn't"

Granny steps in and breaks it up.... "Who started this?"

At the same time we point at each other and say,"She did."

Then came the speech.  Granny takes me to the side and whispers..."You don't have to win all the time and it's okay to miss a base sometimes."

When I was nine, I got mad and didnt' talk to Granny for oh... maybe a day... but the point is my nine year old mind thought she was saying I didn't touch the base... but what she was saying was ... when playing a game with family I shouldn't be in "Got to win mode" but be in "Lets have fun mode" 

Why are my grandbabies so much like nine year old ME????

No comments: