Writer on a Horse
And a Dog

The world looks better from the back of a horse and the roads of life are easier with a good dog beside you.

Friday, April 15, 2011

I don't look in Mirrors....it's too scary



Have you ever looked in a mirror and asked the person looking back, “Who are you and what did you do with my body?” If you’re over fifty I’m sure you have.

I once heard a preacher say the golden years where the most beautiful ones of a person’s life. From my coarse white hair that is so unmanageable my hair spray bill should be covered by Medicare to my diamond-tough toenails, I’m here to tell you there is nothing beautiful about old age.

Wrinkles, sags, age spots and flab are all signs of aging. When I look in a mirror I see bulldog jowls hanging below my chin, character lines at the corner of my eyes that have turned sinister, breasts whispering to my navel and my under arm wing span waving at my reflection. Noticing a dirty smudge on my face, I try to wipe it off, but it won’t wipe off. Feeling depressed I turn from the mirror and notice my behind has moved south.

I’ve decided I’m not in my golden years; I’m in my plastic years. Why plastic you ask? Because I’m stained with age and my skin is splitting, cracking and peeling. I have deformities from misuse and my body snaps, crackles and pops when I use it. I see nothing beautiful in mirrors now that I’m over fifty. I remember mother’s warning to take care of my body or live to regret it. I do.

1 comment:

Amy Jane said...

The most beautiful feature in in people as they age is their eyes. Whenever I look at a person who is about 45+ I get lost in their eyes. While the face and body shows the physical wear and tears of life, the eyes capture the fire of life and keeps it burning within them.