Writer on a Horse
And a Dog

The world looks better from the back of a horse and the roads of life are easier with a good dog beside you.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Memoir's are other people's turns in life's journey


For visitors that don't really know me... my husband had a life changing accident nearly 15 years ago. It was hard to watch him struggle for over a two years just to get a life free of crutches and walkers...that accident changed the course our lives where traveling and really changed our marriage. I really hate to say for the better. We remembered that we were friends and partners.

I'm reading a book titled "A Three Dog Life" a memoir written by Abigail Thomas.
If you don't read this book you'll be missing a humbling experience. I wanted to hate the book in the first few pages but didn't. Why? It wasn't the writing... sorry Ms. Thomas... I don't really like short to the point almost poetic sentences but I felt the words you wrote and the ache they caused followed me the entire day. Your words made me want to hug my dog and kiss my husband. I felt the need to tell both how important they were to me and how they made me happy.

Released in 2006, this book has been sitting on my bookshelf waiting for its turn... now I'm looking at the other books I've pushed back and wonder if there are other hidden jewels. I'm nearly finished with the book and I really hope this lump in my throat doesn't change to tears on the pages but no matter what the out come... thanks Abigail Thomas for the reminder that we need to appreciate the small things before they're gone.

No comments: