Writer on a Horse
And a Dog

The world looks better from the back of a horse and the roads of life are easier with a good dog beside you.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Romeo, Romeo What's in a name?


Do you sometimes worry and edit and spend tons of time picking out the right name for your characters? Me too! If we listened to Juliet from Romeo and Juliet we wouln't worry so much.
Check it out:A tidbit of information... I love plays by William Shakespeare
Juliet.
O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Capulet.
'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;--
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title:--Romeo, doff thy name;
And for that name, which is no part of thee, Take all myself.

2 comments:

Amy Jane said...

i might be crazy for saying this but...
I really like shakespeare.

hamlet is my favorite so far.

Lynn Baber said...

I haven't thought about Shakespeare for a long time, even though I was once in a theatre group that only did works by the Bard.
The title of your post is what really drew my attention.. horse lover and "what's in a name?"
I'm often asked about the name of my new book, "Amazing Grays, Amazing Grace." Folks get the amazing grace part... it's explaining that the amazing grays are two gray horses.
Your point is perfect. It doesn't matter what each horse is named, they would still be amazing by any other name.